12 March 2008

"Bei Bei" Parade

This is a video I took of a parade for Latern Festival. The big temple in HaiFong does this parade every year. One of my former students asked me to come watch with him. So, I did. Many people would ask, and have, "Why would a Christian go to such a thing?" My answer is simple: In Taiwan, religion is mixed with every aspect of society, from politics to economics, to social behavior and the lottery [yes, even the lottery].

While watching the parade, i asked my friend a question: "What if I am at work when the parade comes by my home? How do I worship?" He replied, " You can go to the temple, but god isn't there." I said, "Wait! Why would I go to the temple to worship if god isn't there? Where is god?" His answer was, "I don't know. I will ask the caretaker [of the temple]. " He came back and told me that the presence of god is where the statue of that god is. This led me to ask him why do I want to worship a god that cannot be present everywhere. He just looked at me. I know he understood what I said. He could not reply. I thank God that I went there with him. I am glad I was able to share the Gospel of Christ to a young man at a false god's parade. He didn't accept Christ, but, i am still in contact with him. Pray that he can see, for himself, that there is only one true God, and that he needs Christ in his life.

No comments: